Skip to main content

ELECTRIC (bill) SHOCK!

I almost had a heart attack (oa!) when I found out how much our Meralco bill for the month of June was. Actually, opening the envelope of our  electric bill  is always  like opening the  Ms. Universe winner’s envelope.  Parating may kaba. Haha.  Our June electric bill gave me a big shock (electric shock lol).   I was expecting a lower consumption compared to last month’s since our bakasyonistas (my husband’s relatives) went back to the province  but contrary to my expectation,  it went up by 100 plus kWh.  Then, I remembered  that early June, I was notified by the Condo Admin staff that they changed our unit’s electric meter.  It may be the cause.  I’m not certain.  I will talk to the admin staff first before I make a conclusion. It may be our actual electric consumption  and I just  find it difficult to admit.   Here’s the rundown of our appliances and their corresponding usage:

refrigerator – 24/7
water dispenser (hot and cold) – 24/7
water heater (shower) – 1 hour/day (approx.)
0.5 HP aircon (master’s bedroom)  -  10 hours/day (approx.)
1.5 HP aircon (living/dining area) – 5 hours/day (approx.)
0.5 HP aircon (guest room/nanny’s room) – 1 hour/day (average) We let our guests use the AC 24/7 or as their hearts’ desire.  We are hospitable like that. haha
Electric fan – 18 hours/day
Induction cooker – 2 hours/day (approx.)
Rice cooker – 30 mins./day (However, I realized that we don’t pull  the plug immediately after the “warm” indicator turns red.)    
Bottle Sterilizer – 30 mins/day
TV – 12 hours/day

Question: Is our P5,800 electric bill justified?   I still don’t know.  What I know is that we could still  decrease our electric consumption.  We will try to do the following:

1.        Turn off the Water Dispenser at night. 
2.       Decrease the time of aircon usage by at least 3 hours per day.
3.       Pull  the rice cooker’s  plug 3 minutes after it switches to  “warm” mode.
4.       Don’t use the water heater if the weather is not chilly.

Do you have any other power saving tips?

Thank you.  


Comments

  1. Ang laki din ng electric bill namin for June! And for that I blame aircon usage not only at night, but also during my son's naptime during the day.

    To save on electricity usage, I suggest not using your water dispenser's hot and cold setting at all. For cold water, we put water in a jug and place that inside the ref. For hot water (i.e. for coffee or tea), we have a portable water heater. It takes less than 5 minutes for the water to get hot with the water heater. Kaya no need na to turn on the hot and cold mechanism of our water dispenser.

    Another thing that I'm saving up for is a new ref. Our ref is a single door lang and the freezer door has been busted since forever since it's plastic and it snapped years ago. So now we balance the freezer door using the hinges and that means the cold air goes out which leads to inefficiency and wastage. Hopefully by early next year when we're done with our condo renovations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nakakaloka di ba? Thanks for the suggestion. Gagawin ko talaga yan.
      Matakaw din ata ang fridge sa electricity. When you decide to buy a new one, go for inverter fridge. It consumes lesser electricity than conventional fridge.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    if i may just ask, inverter din ba ang 3units of aircon nyo? may i also ask how many burners your induction cooker has and do you use it simultaneously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Hindi inverter ang AC units namin. Parang wala pa kasing window type inverter sa market nung bumili kami ng AC. As to our induction cooker, our two burner induction cooker broke down months ago. It's still under warranty pero wala pa daw available. So, we are using a one burner induction, yung Dowell.
      Thank you for dropping by my blog.

      Delete

Post a Comment