Skip to main content

One Week P1,000 Meal Plan for Four

“Ano kayang lulutuin ko?” – This had been my usual dilemma every afternoon.   Actually, thinking of what to cook is really not a chore for me.  Anything connected to cooking is fun.    So,   I thought there was no reason for me   to create a meal plan.
 
That was until I realized that I was wasting so much food and I was spending so much on food.   One meal would usually cost us P150  on the average, and I would incur P3,000-4000 on groceries per week (baby’s milk excluded).   Such realization made me decide to whip up meals  which are cheaper but healthier than our food choices then.        I have decided to  create a weekly meal plan with a COST LIMIT.   It’s actually challenging but the following reasons pressed me to carry it out:   First, we are not getting any younger. Eating too much meat and junk food is definitely not good for us. Second, I need to cut our expenses.  Windfalls have stopped from falling and our financial status is not at its best.  We also need to save for Baby C’s education.  Lastly, I need to expose Baby C to eating vegetables and to simple living. 

So, here’s my meal plan for the week.

 
Oo. Fan ako ni Daniel Padilla at wala kayong pakialam kung PABEBE ako! lol

I have   stated the corresponding (approximate) cost of the  meal (rice not included).    I have also posted it on the fridge so that my husband would know what to expect and so that our househelp would know what to cook for breakfast.  And it also serves as a  “HINDI UNLI ANG BUDGET NATIN” notice. Lol. Seriously, I believe that every member of the household should be aware na hindi pinupulot ang pera. 

Together with this meal plan is a food shopping plan.

Wet Market for fish and seafood – Twice a month (It would be too tiring to go to the wet market every week. Although Farmers Market is relatively near to our place, I find  commuting stressful.   Besides, weekends are for resting.)

Puregold for canned goods,  meat, baby’s milk,  toiletries etc.  – Weekly  (Actually, I could go there as many times as I want since it’s just a few blocks away from our condo.  There is also a Puregold near my workplace.)

Sidewalk for vegetables/fruits – Every day or as needed (There are sidewalk vendors near my workplace who sell vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, squash,  malunggay and all the veggies in bahay kubo.  The veggies there are way cheaper than those in Supermarket or Farmers.

S&R – Once every two months (S&R has been my happy place. Hahaha. However, it has also been my temptation place. Haha.  I really find it difficult to resist the Buy 1 Take 1 muffins/cakes, chips and cookies in giant bags, pizza and even the bedsheets on sale.   Hence, the imposition of S&R trip limit.)

We can’t live without food.  It’s definitely a NEED.  However, delicious and unhealthy food is a WANT.  In household financial planning, knowing the difference between needs and wants is crucial. 

But you know, I don’t plan to eradicate eating out or eating greasy and extremely delicious food.  I want to live the present as much as I want to prepare for the future.  My objective is to live a simple but balanced life. 
    




             

Comments

  1. Wow. Impressive. We are a family of 3 (with a 4 month old baby) but our meal budget is at 1500 per week. but then again groceries are included. Still, this is impressive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mlet. Eating vegetables is an easy way to save cash. Tipid na, masustansya pa. :)

      Delete
    2. Yep. Been munching on greens for the past several months because we are exclusively breastfeeding. Super tipid and masustansya. I'm just curios. When you say leftover for lunch, you mean leftover from breakfast? I always have a meal plan and usually we eat leaftover during dinner time. Sinusobrahan kasi namin yung luto during lunch.

      Delete
    3. Leftover from dinner. My niece and I bring baon to work. Kung anong ulam namin pag dinner, yun na rin baon namin kinabukasan and yun na din pagkain ng yaya. My husband naman just buys food sa office canteen.

      Delete
  2. Wow. This is very practical. I also have weekly menu plan pero I keep it sa Excel file lang. Good idea yung naka-post sa ref para everyone can see it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome.
      Pero pag may mga bisita (my relatives or my husband’s) kami na nakikitulog or nakikitira for a few days, tinatago ko. Baka isipin nila kinukwenta ko ang pinapakain sa kanila. Haha.

      Delete
  3. Alam mo minsan mas magastos ang eating health. For example - the hubby doesn't want to eat the egg yolks for eggs- too much i forgot daw (so yung pusa namin ang kumakain ng egg yolk- kasi ayaw niya namang gawin kong leche flan). for his abs before- he needs about 1 dozen egg whites every two - three days. tapos gulay, kamote, mayat mayang kain. hahahah!

    Tapos mas mahal ang red rice namin kesa sa ordinary white rice. Puro breast din lang ang chicken namin. (at mataba pa rin ako :()

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ang binibili kong gulay ngayon yung mga mura, kalabasa, talong, kangkong, malunggay...yung tigsasampung piso. haha. Pati prutas, yung titigtatlo singkwenta na papaya at honeydew.
      Gawin mo na kasi akong COS mo para yumaman na kami. hahaha. Hindi pala kumakain si Dan ng red/brown/black rice. Hindi naman masarap ang breast part ng chicken.

      Delete
  4. Extra challenge din para sa akin magplano at magluto ng pagkain for my boys! Syempre kailangan hindi lang matipid, dapat masarap din!
    Recently binago ko ang strategy ko - limited muna ang pag-punta sa PureGold, Save More etc. kasi lagi ako nag-oover budget. Kapag paisa-isa lang naman ang kulang, like 1 piece carrot or kamatis, sa sidewalk ko na din muna binibili para kontrolado. Yung grocery shopping pag talagang as in wala na talagang laman ung pantry. Sa budget kasi namin talagang pinakamalaki ang "food expenses", try ko lang na pababain ng kaunti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mas mahirap nga talaga magplano ng meals pag may toddler na.
      So far, okay naman strategy ko, my grocery/food expense was decreased by 50%. Disiplina talaga. Kung dati, kuha lang nang kuha sa shelves, ngayon, chicheck ko na and kinocompare prices.

      Delete

Post a Comment