Skip to main content

Journey to Sydney

 Life is indeed full of surprises.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that I would live in Australia.   We considered moving to Singapore in 2018.  The plan was to work there for five years, save money and go back to the Philippines and live happily ever after. lol.   However, for some reasons, it did not materialize. Then last quarter of 2019, my husband had an opportunity to be transferred to their Sydney branch/headquarter.   When asked about my thoughts about it, my answer was a resounding yes.  I was so excited.  I googled everything about Australia.  However, when we started to look at the figures (possible income of a software engineer and the cost of living), we had second thoughts.  Modesty aside, I believe we were doing well back in the Philippines.  We had a comfortable life there.  When I say comfortable, it means I could afford a McDo meal whenever I want.  My husband could afford to drink Starbucks coffee every day, that's his yardstick  of success. lol.  I had a  job which I loved. That time, I was being considered to be the  Chief of a particular division, and I felt that I could get the item (feelingerang frog).  My husband's only problem with his work was his daily commute.  Cean loved her school (Cradle of Joy Catholic Progressive School).  We were stable.  We were in our comfort zone.  We were scared of change  and we did not want to start from scratch again.  

That time, I was active in a prayer community.  I mentioned my dilemma to my prayer leader.  She told me that I should consider the future of our daughter in making a decision. I took note of it. So, My husband and I decided to push through with the application. It was just an application, anyway.   I told him that  we will seal the deal if  the salary package is good and enough for us to live comfortably (please see  my meaning of comfortable above lol).  Then everything seemed so fast. Our December was spent complying with the visa requirements.   Our visas were released a month after submission of requirements.    That was first week of February.    

On the same month, my father underwent Angioplasty in Metro Manila which was thankfully successful.  The cost of the procedure was not a joke though.  But,  God is really good.  He surrounded us with generous people.  I accompanied my  father to the province a week after he was discharged from the hospital.  I went back to Manila on March 9, 2020.  That day, it was reported that someone from QC had Covid.  After three days, the President announced the closure of the borders.  The day after the announcement, my husband was instructed by his boss to rebook our tickets and fly to Sydney as soon as possible. We were not prepared. We did not have winter clothes, luggage and enough pocket money.  Good thing, one of our friends offered to lend us  money. We did not ask for it, he offered. I know, we are beyond blessed.  My tip is, choose your friends wisely. Befriend rich kids. lol. Seriously, I think it's important to be trustworthy.  

We took the flight to Sydney on March 15, 2020.  When we arrived, we were required to self-isolate, which we did.  Few days after our arrival, the Government of Australia closed its borders.  

You see, everything happened just in time.   The job opportunity came after our court petition was granted.  My father's heart procedure was done just weeks before Covid cases started to grow exponentially.  We arrived in Australia just days before the lockdown.  Perhaps we are really meant to be here in the land down under.   


Our recent family picture


Ta! (Feelingera talaga lol)








 

 

Comments

  1. Everything happens in God's perfect timing :) How are you finding life in Sydney?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.
      It's good so far. Sydney is a beautiful place, and the people are generally nice and polite.

      Delete

Post a Comment